Saturday, May 26, 2012

Reality Check


Let it go, 
let it roll right off your shoulder 
don't you know 
the hardest part is over 
let it in, 
let your clarity define you 
in the end 
we will only just remember how it feels 

our lives are made 
in these small hours 
these little wonders, 
these twists & turns of fate 
time falls away, 
but these small hours, 
these small hours still remain 

let it slide, 
let your troubles fall behind you 
let it shine 
until you feel it all around you 
and i don't mind 
if it's me you need to turn to 
we?ll get by, 
it's the heart that really matters in the end 


all of my regret will wash away somehow
but i can not forget the way I feel right now



It's been quite busy working, finishing wedding open houses, going to an extended family wedding, and trying to organize our new yet to be furnished apartment. Our newlywed checklist seems endless, but little by little, I often look back to see the little accomplishments that we have been slowly but surely checking off (I like lists because I tend to be forgetful) to ease my overwhelmed brain with it's endless thoughts. It's always planning ahead, what to do next, what's our next project, and what other newly married government paperwork do I need to fill out now?

Trying to find the balance of family, friends, work, and home is taking it's time and an emotional toll.  It's only been two weeks, but it's hard to think of what life was like before without my best friend and husband. I am fully accepted by him and there is no feeling like it when someone loves you for everything you are and sees and encourages you to become anything you can be. But the harder part is accepting myself in taking on new identities and roles as a wife, a Dawson, and being treated even more as an adult. And that means acting like one.

Recently I have been taking things personally by what others say and do. My feelings get hurt through what others say to other people and and what they don't say to me. It pulls me into that dreadful state of comparing and wondering why I'm not good enough, why don't they want to talk to me, of course they don't want to talk to me, I'm in the wrong, everyone is perfect and I'm the only one in the world not. How do I gain their acceptance? How do others do it so easily? It's fair, but it's not fair. I leave myself bitter, hurt, and hold grudges at those who don't deserve it and leave myself worse than I was. And I'm doing it right now by typing this. I take all the blame. But it's no one's fault. How do I let this unforgiving circle go? 

I just have to let it go. Tell myself to not think about it. Tell myself to have confidence in myself and hopefully some day others will love and care about me, as much as I care for them. I am very quiet about it, but it's a struggle and very uncomfortable to keep trying to get out of this shell. But I hope I can accept myself more as much as my Father in Heaven loves and accepts me and I hope others will be able to in return also. I hope to "let my clarity define me and not my sins. Let my troubles and regrets wash away through the atonement of Jesus Christ and enjoy the journey of this new chapter in my life. I know it's the right time and I am absolutely with the right person. It's finding, being in, and making it be the right place to grow and learn in these small hours.



He is the most amazing man I know. I just love him!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I have felt exactly the same way, but I feel like sharing my adjustment to married life might help. It's totally different than single life and comes with so many new exciting things, and you still get to keep a lot of your old self. But the routine is different and you might be surrounded by new people. At least, for me, I had to move to a new state and be in a real family ward (not the BYU newly married ward). It was really hard not having people my age, but I think more so because I was also comparing myself to them and to my ideal of what a married wife would/should be like. It's gotten easier, but I constantly had to remind myself that I'm new at this and everyone is on a different path or at different points along their paths. I even have to remind myself to not get caught up in all the cute/fun stuff everyone else seems to be doing.

    I can't remember exactly who said it in General Conference last year, but the message was a huge reminder that we're not in a race.

    Again, I don't totally understand what you're going through, but I think you're reminding yourself of the things that are most important - your relationship with Heavenly Father and Christ, your new fabulous husband :), and yourself.

    Be patient and kind with yourself. Keep having reality checks. Don't give up on your goals, but keep them realistic. I thought of this new change in life meant I needed to ADD to what I was already doing, but really it is a new role - different times call for different things. Being perfect to me used to be the ability to do everything in my ideal way, but I'm not the one defining perfection/success. (I'm sure Satan beats us even more now, too)

    I appreciate knowing I'm not the only person that felt a rough transition (and there are times when I still do!) and I appreciate your honesty sharing this.

    It will get better and your joy will increase. Congrats again!! (and sorry for the huge comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jane! It helps knowing now I'm not the only one going through this either! I relate to the thinking there are ideal roles to be filled and I do have to give myself the reality check also that everyone is different and life is not a race. I'm loving this transition, but comes with it's adjusting and definitely learning to be more of me and learning what works for our two-some family. I just gotta be patient and it takes time, like you said. Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete