Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Decisions

I am just going to come out and say it. I had a mid life crisis, ok more like early life crisis, today. I ended up going to a college physical therapist adviser today on a whim and ended up staying a while!

I have always been really interested in physical therapy. Don't ask me how I became interested. The thought just popped into my head one day, and I smiled at the thought, and so I from then on, I knew this is what I wanted to do. If something can make me smile at first thought, than I know it will make me happy. I mean, Physical Therapy. Helping people, the body, not really sitting in an office all the time just sitting there, being active. Yeah, I like it. Yeah, I am shy, but my true happiness comes from serving. Timidness is probably my weakness that PT will help me overcome, but I do love people. I care about them. I want to help the world. One person at a time. And if I help them, they can help others also. :) Ya see what I mean?

Welp, I just went off on a ramble I did not intend to go on, but about physical therapy...there are two main types, THE physical therapist or the physical therapist ASSISTANT. The PT requires a bachelor's and a PT program afterward. PTA just requires an associates. Just get it done kind of thing. However, for PTA's, salaries are lower and less job opportunities. Both PT and PTA require about 3 years in a program. However, PT requires 4 years undergraduate + 3 years. And then PTA is just 3 years. However, if I did PTA NOW, I could have had my undergrad by then. So the real question is...IS IT WORTH IT? Should I give up a better salary as a PT, give up my undergrad, give up more authority and credentials and job opportunities as a PT and be a PTA? Do I even HAVE enough confidence to know I could get into a PT program after my undergrad? I personally think I would enjoy both no matter what as long as I get to do what I want to. However, school kinda makes you choose and narrow down what you want to do. SO, I am still debating. I am definitely leaning towards PT right now about 70% because it makes the MOST sense. And I do want an undergrad. However, I am going to be interviewing people soon who are PTA's and PT's and get the pros and cons first hand. Also, I need to build up my confidence FAST if I am going to go the PT route. PT programs are competitive. I gotta have confidence to know I can make it and make it worth it!

And on top of this mid life career crisis, I still need to take tests, finals, find a job, find a living place for fall and next winter, figure out what I am going to do for my birthday, move for spring term. . .one day at a time though. I know The Lord has a plan for me. I am trying to follow it the best I can. :)

Oh life, you bring many wonderful surprises. And more are coming I guarantee.
I just request that all the surprises are good ones.
Is that too much to ask?

Wish me luck that I don't fall face first and fall on my back like I did in this pic! lol.


P.S. Happy 14 months to Matt and I! :)

1 comment:

  1. Your birthday... Duh! We are going to party it up! ;) You will figure out your Midlife career crisis easily, and if not I wish you luck. You could just come with me next fall... ;)

    ReplyDelete