Saturday, September 11, 2010

Coach

I had a soccer coach in high school that is my favorite coach I have ever had in my years of sports...well after my dad that's for sure. haha.

Her name is Coach Sorens.
What I admire about her and how she coached her team is:

she always believed me.
she never let me quit.
she taught me about consequences to my actions.
she taught me about commitment.
she taught me more about leadership.
she taught me more about team work and how to value every player.
she put her family first when she became a mother.
she taught me if I do it and I believe I can do it, I will do it.
she could see my potential when I could not.
she showed me that you can mix hard work and fun.
and most importantly
she cared about me as a whole person and not just about the soccer player.

***

When the seniors graduated from the team, she gave each of us a gift. My gift was a photo album. In the photo album, she also included a poem that I was surprised to find. But I believe the poem is everything that she has wanted me to learn from her being my coach. And she wanted me to never forget these valuable lessons and to apply them in my life after the soccer season is over.

And I thank her a million times over.

***

Dream Big

If there were ever a time to dare,
To make a difference,
To embark on something worth doing,
It is now.
Not for any grand cause, necessarily,
But for something that tugs at your heart,
Something that's your aspiration,
Something that's your dream.

You owe it to yourself, to make your days here count.
Have Fun.
Dig deep.
Stretch.

DREAM BIG

Know, though, things worth doing seldom come easy.
There will be good days,
And there will be times wne you want to turn around,
Pick it up,
And call it quits.
These times tell you that you are pushing yourself,
That you are not afraid to learn by trying.

PERSIST

Because with an idea,
Determination,
And the right tools,
You can do great things.
Let your instincts,
Your intellect,
And your heart guide you.

TRUST

Believe in the incredible power of the human mind.
Of doing something that makes a difference.
Of working hard,
Of laughing and hoping,
Of lazy afternoons,
Of lasting friends,
Of all the things that will cross your path this year.

The start of something new,
Brings the hope of something great.
Anything is possible.
There is only one you.
And you will pass this way only once.
Do it right.

DREAM BIG

-anonymous

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. You are talented in so many ways and wise beyond your years. Thank you so much for the kind words. It means so much to me that you took time to share your thoughts with me today. I really enjoyed your team and the relationships we created. Your words encourage me to continue giving everything I have to teaching and coaching. Thank You

    ReplyDelete